Brine ingredients list.
- Sea Salt – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1 gallon
- (1) 4 lb. chicken
Seasoning ingredients list.
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
Directions for brining chicken.
- Dissolve sea salt in 8 – 12 oz of hot water. Mix this with the rest of the water.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. The bowl should be large enough to hold both the chicken and the gallon of water.
- Pour the gallon of salt water over the chicken. Ensure that the chicken is completely submerged. If the chicken is not completely submerged make another batch of brine.
- Chicken should preferably brine for a minimum of 24hrs before baking. I like to brine my chicken for 48hrs.
Directions for seasoning the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Mix the seasoning ingredients together and set aside.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Liberally apply olive oil to all surfaces of the chicken.
- Place the chicken – breast side down and liberally apply seasoning.
- Place the chicken – breast side up and finish applying the seasoning to the breasts and legs.
- Tie the legs of the chicken together with baking string.
- Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Place chicken – breast side up in the baking dish.
Directions for baking the chicken.
“Now, this is where you make it or break it!”
Do not overbake the chicken. I repeat, do not overbake the chicken!
A thermometer is your best friend here.
- Bake the chicken at 450°F for 30 min. This will crisp the skin and helps maintain moisture inside the chicken.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 250°F and bake the chicken until the internal temp is 165°F – 170°F (probed at the thickest part of the breast). This will take almost exactly 1 hr.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 – 15 minutes before carving.
- It is recommended to carve and eat the chicken immediately.
- If you are planning to eat the baked chicken some other time, it is recommended that you carve the chicken while it’s still warm. Place the chicken pieces on a plate and immediately place the chicken in the refrigerator. As soon as the chicken is cool, cover the chicken with foil. The goal is to cool the chicken rapidly and still ensure that the moisture doesn’t escape.
- An absolute must to incredibly moist chicken is brining the chicken before baking. You can shortcut this step in a pinch, but, the chicken will not be as moist.
- Seasoning mix can be adjusted based on your likes and dislikes.
- You can even buy a premixed seasoning mix and apply that.
- Tying the legs of the chicken together is not essential, however, it is my preferred method of baking chicken.